[Swift-devel] Re: Swift Error!

andrewj at uchicago.edu andrewj at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 10 13:36:10 CDT 2007

Mike,

  Thanks for the insight.  You are right.  I do need to attack
this piece-wise. I guess I was hoping to get lucky! I think it
is just the time constraint that is scarring me.

Here goes it!

Thanks,
Andrew

>Andrew, due to Swift's highly parallel nature, debugging is
stil tricky.

>Ben and Mihael may have other suggestions, but I used the
debug function
>  (coded as "myapp") in the example I sent you, to print various
>variable values and to confirm that various functions were
entered and
>exited.
>
>Ive got a lot of notes to write up (and userguid text to
suggest)
>related to this, but in the meantime we need to give you a clear
>understanding of how variables and expression evaluation
works in swift.

>In a nutshell:
>
>- every statement in a function is evaluated in
data-dependency order,
>not in source-code order
>- variable instances can only be set once
>- expressions, including function calls, that consume values
wait until
>the value is set
>- references to arrays as objects (ie by using one n a
foreach) block
>until the array is set ("closed")
>- arrays are closed only when they are returned as the result
of a
>procedure (note: not "array members" = the entire array)
>- print() does not currently wait for its arguments to close
(it will
>soon: this is a deficiency)
>
>(All - please correct/extend this as needed. I will try to
write text
>and examples of each of these points for the
userguide/tutorials but
>please dont wait for me if you get the urge).
>
>Until you get the hang of this "data flow" model, writing
even simple
>code can be tricky.
>
>Whats worse is that we dont yet have the ability to a)
include line
>numbers in errors once you are out of the swift parser) and
b) its hard
>to tell what you are hanging on when the whole script hangs.
>
>Thats why I urged you, and urge you again, Andrew, to start
testing the
>program in small pieces, from the inside working outwards, so
that you
>are building on known working code.
>
>This gets quite easy once you develop a solid mental model of
how swift
>behaves, but getting there takes a few days of
experimentation (at least
>it did for me, and Im about 75% there ;)
>
>I'll try to help you tomorrow, but others may be able to spot
some
>problems in your source code.
>
>- Mike
>

>On 10/10/07 12:17 PM, andrewj at uchicago.edu wrote:
>> On that note, is there anyway to grab more information in real
>> time as to what is going on with swift?
>>
>> de at mcs.anl.gov>, swiftdevel <swift-devel at ci.uchicago.edu>
>>> none of those messgaes are errors in themselves - they're
>> debugging
>>> messages about what is going on inside.
>>>
>>> Do you mean to report that it then hangs 'forever'?

10-10-07-CADWF.swift