[Swift-devel] Problem with @extractint?

Yong Zhao yongzh at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 9 20:09:34 CDT 2007

We had discussions about mapping functions vs mappers too. Essentially
readdata is doing what a mapper (an advanced CSV mapper) should do. I am
not sure whether this is the right direction though, as 'readdata' might
just have been implemented as a specialized karajan function, instead of
being a swift level mapper or mapping function.

So for mapping, there are two choices:
either the type info is passed in to the mapping, which will try to
interprete the values according to the types/member-types passed in.

or the mapping is type agnostic, and extractint, extractstring,
extractdata, whatever is applied to a generic value to get the actual
typed data back. I can see cases where this may not work well.

Yong.