[Swift-devel] Re: passing types and variables in swift

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 5 00:40:50 CDT 2007

I'm ready to start the seconds round of months of arm waving on mappers,
by the way. I hope we can cut it down to weeks.

Lets get the data model cleaned up before the user and code base grows
bigger, and we'll piss people off when we have to finally fix it.

I'm uncomfortable with aspects of:
- what the language's set of values is (what Ben calls file-space)
- when mappers run
- what their role is (input vs output name determination)
- what they return
- syntax and semantics of initialization
- how values are persisted (especially across restarts)
- how values are returned from app calls
- why "@filename" is special and what else is
- why we should *not* be able to map output datasets until they have
been created
- what creating (and closing) an output dataset means
- how single-assignment and the functional model impacts this
- issues of value-assignment dependence in blocks of assignment statements
- how any of these issues might affect a provenance model

Not all of these are of equal importance.

I'm open to *how* this deliberation should take place if people have
suggestions.

Barring other suggestions, I propose to couch it as proposed revisions
to the tutorial examples or users guide, before implementing it.

Then implementation could start on the things we agree on, if we agree
that the things we dont agree on wont change the things we do. ;)

- Mike