[Swift-devel] Re: passing types and variables in swift

Yong Zhao yongzh at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 4 22:53:45 CDT 2007

Mike

> while we're discussing mappers, could you or Ben clarify:
>
> - can a mapper be only used on a single variable declaration? ie you can
> not map a dataset to a variable within a struct?  this would be useful
> eg to create a struct that has both file and scalar valued members, to
> set up a parameter sweep where each file needs specific parameters.

This would be the nested mapper scenario, in order to make the scripts
cleaner, I was think about a mapping descriptor (which could be an XML
file to describe each layer of the mapping), but this is kind of far
reaching.

> - are mappers processed before the program (or procedure) starts
> executing? so you cant use a mapper like an assignment statement to set
> or reset a variable?

Mappers are evaluated before procedure execution, the only exception is
when a mapper depends on some intermediate data, and it will wait for that
data to be available (as in the montage workflow). However, mapping is
different from assignment (in assignment, it is more like calling a
mapping function such as @extractint). A variable currently can not be
reset or reassigned, unless it is an interation variable (it gets
re-assigned implicitly).

Yong.