[Swift-devel] SSH support

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 23 19:56:52 CST 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 01:40 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>
> > There have been long discussions about that. The ssh agent seems to use
> > some UNIX specific mechanisms to interact with ssh, so it's a bit weird
> > from Java. But I never really looked into the issue in sufficient
> > detail. I think I should.
>
> right, it uses unix domain sockets. I have no idea what that looks like in
> Java - I think nothing standard at all. I think maybe ssh-agent is also
> version-specific (i.e. it operates only with the ssh client from the same
> release as the ssh-agent) so maybe its a rather folorn hope.

There is a Java implementation, as far as I remember, of it (even in
j2ssh). Though I've never tried it.

However, there is also GSISSH. Also not sure what would take to get that
to work in the current scheme.

On the other hand, user generated key pairs can be very convenient. It
would certainly solve the problem of having to generate proxies on a
regular basis in a portal, for which it gets an A in
usability/convenience.