[Swift-devel] wiring swift and falkon together

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed May 23 11:44:42 CDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Ioan Raicu wrote:

> Hmmm... from my understanding, the Falkon provider is independent of the fact
> that Swift will actually use Falkon or not.  There is no requirement that
> Falkon be used, even if you have the Falkon provider installed!

Hopefully its that way, configurable by eg. a site catalog setting. I
don't know if that is the case though right now. If not, we should make it
that way.

> About how Falkon gets deplyed, it is simply uncompressed, you modify 1 or 2
> config files, and use the included scripts to start everything!  All this is
> in the included readme.txt in the Falkon archive, downloadable online on my
> web site.  Once again, if someone is not intersted in using Falkon, then I see
> no reason why they would be doing anything different than before just because
> there is now a Falkon provider in Swift.

ok. Does the swift/falkon provider need to be told an EPR to the Falkon
web service?

My concerns mostly are not so much about having a provider in the source
tree when people aren't going to use; that's fine. But the code needs to
not be in the form of some random jar file without it being clear where it
came from. If the code can build without needing Falkon code around (which
I suspect it can't), then its simple to put it in the Swift codebase. If
it has Falkon build dependencies (eg for web service stubs) then thats
more stuff accumulating in the codebase that needs long term management
(and brings in incompatibilities if you want to modify the Falkon web
services API)