[Swift-devel] swift-on-ec2

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu May 17 11:10:16 CDT 2007

Kate Keahey wrote:

> Ian Foster wrote:
>> Kate:
>>
>> I want to emphasize that I was *not* dismissing the issues below as
>> distractions.
>>
>> What I meant was: given that you are working on developing a "virtual
>> cluster", which I am pretty sure will be able to execute Swift apps,
>> let's focus on getting that done, rather than worrying about "special
>> casing" it for Falkon, adding dynamic node acquisition, or the other
>> things that people started discussing as potential extensions.
>
> We only now really began to discuss how to use VMs with Swift/Falkon
> -- the original set of issues you posted was just what was needed, it
> clearly inspired a very good discussion, and made me realize that I
> should have been talking to a wider set of people about this. Please,
> don't go back on us now... It also looks to me like there may be
> solutions that will make more sense both from the perspective of the
> architecture and will also be easier to implement with the current
> state of virtualization tools. For example, if we can set up Falkon to
> provision single nodes operating in pull mode (pulling work from a
> "master") various contextualization issues will have become much easier.
>

>> I understand from our IM conversation today that the "virtual
>> cluster" is ready for us in a "static environment" such as some
>> machines in our lab. In a "dynamic environment" such as EC2, it is
>> not quite ready for use yet. Thus, you won't be able to get Swift
>> running on EC2 tomorrow.
>
> This is not quite accurate; static refers to statically assigned IPs
> -- we have control over our IPs and can assign them to the cluster
> nodes in the same way each time we deploy it. Amazon will choose new
> IPs for the nodes each time the cluster is deployed, so each time the
> configuration of the cluster will have to be adjusted to reflect
> different IP assignment to the nodes (but if we were to change the IPs
> on the cluster nodes in a local environment we would be just as dynamic).
>
> But if you deploy just one node (e.g., a node operating in the pull
> mode as in the example above) the need for this configuration
> adjustment may go away (depending on what the node does) so everything
> may become much simpler.
Currently, a Falkon executor (the worker code) upon bootstrapping, makes
1 WS call to the Falkon dispatcher (running in a GT4 container) to
register its name and the port on which the notification engine is
listening on.  Once this is done, the executors go into a listen mode
for notifications, and only acts (send WS calls out) upon the reception
of notifications.  So, the VMs that run the Falkon executors can get
DHCP addresses, and the registration message will include all the
necessary information about where the Falkon dispatcher needs to contact
the respective Falkon executor!  Now, the one configuration parameter
that we must have is the location of the Falkon dispatcher.  If we have
it running in a static location (a well known machine and port), then
this can be hard coded into the bootstrapping scripts, and there is no
configuration needed!  If the dispatcher does not have a static resource
to run on (i.e. it runs in another VM), then this information needs to
be passed to the executor bootstrapping scripts!

Ioan

> We can spend some time looking at deploying a VM on EC2 if it is of
> interest (as well as deploying a VM via the workspace service if that
> is of interest), we can run things on the deployed VM, etc. But I
> *strongly* argue that we spend at least some time defining what we
> want from this project, what is realistic to have in the short-term,
> what will be hard/impossible/inconvenient and try to build it
> systematically. Then we can figure out who does what and by when this
> is going to be done.
>

>> Ian.
>>

>> Kate Keahey wrote:
>>> Ian,
>>>
>>> you seem to be referring to the necessary /etc/hosts configuration
>>> as well as workers registering with the torque headnode below as
>>> "distractions" -- I agree they can be very distracting, but in my
>>> experience without these distractions a cluster (virtual or
>>> physical) won't work in the way such clusters are typically expected
>>> to work.
>>>
>>> What I said in my mail is that we can set up a base cluster locally
>>> so that somebody like Ioan can finish the configuration (i.e.,
>>> install Falkon on it). We will configure this cluster once and leave
>>> it deployed  as long as needed.
>>>
>>> Once we have the front-end to EC2 working (which we don't have yet
>>> although we are close) we will deploy this cluster on EC2 and
>>> provide methods that will automate this last little bit of
>>> configuration that *always* has to be done on deployment.
>>>
>>> I also think it is quite important that we spend the time tomorrow
>>> discussing what exactly we are trying to do -- right now, it looks
>>> to me like it might make more sense to not use clusters (it will
>>> help with the "distractions" if we don't).
>>>
>>> I realize that you are eager for us to get things to run -- I am
>>> eager too, but I honestly think we will get there faster if we plan
>>> better.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory