[Swift-devel] swift-on-ec2

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed May 16 12:15:07 CDT 2007

Kate Keahey wrote:

> Ian Foster wrote:
>> Kate:
>>
>> If we configure the virtual cluster with a full LRM, as you propose
>> (and it seems have already done--great work!), then we can use this
>> to start Falkon executors--as we do today on regular clusters. So it
>> seems to me that we have all we need. How about you and Ioan spend
>> your time on Thursday running something on EC2, to make sure it sorks?
>
> As I suggest below, I think it would be easiest if we could deploy and
> debug a small static cluster locally first, and we can probably give
> it a shot tomorrow. We still don't have access to the Xen nodes on
> TeraPort (although hopefully that might change by tomorrow) but I
> asked Rick to rebuild a couple of nodes at ANL and he did, I think for
> a test that should give us enough resources to play with.
If someone (Kate, Borja, Ian, anyone) has an account on EC2 and S3 so we
can try a demo run tomorrow, I think it would be very beneficial!  Do we
have images created that would run on EC2?  Can we easily modify them so
we can include the necessary software, or at least once we start them
up, we can upload the necessary software needed b Falkon (JVM, Falkon
executor, some GT4 libraries).

> At the same time -- if there are multiple ways of doing this, and
> perhaps better ways than simply using a virtual cluster, we should
> discuss them now. It is not completely clear to me what the
> relationship between Falkon and Swift is, and what the specific
> objectives are (other than that dynamically provisioning resources is
> required). It looks at this point like the objectives probably overlap
> with what Ioan, Borja and I wanted to talk about (which I thought was
> a separate project, but am thrilled to find out is related) so how
> about we come up with a design tomorrow and post the notes on this
> list (is this a good venue for that?) and then others can shoot them
> down.
>
>> Regarding choice of LRM: have you looked at SGE? That is what quite a
>> few others seem to be using.
>
> Yes, we have. We also collaborate with others who do, as well as with
> Sun... As you may remember, Borja did the scheduling work for his
> thesis in the context of SGE. Last time we talked though, Torque was
> the scheduler of choice for the virtual cluster LRM so we used that.
>
> The usage of SGE you are referring to above -- is this in the context
> of virtualization projects, or as LRM for various Falkon-related
> applications?
Falkon relies on LRMs to get resource allocations, and bootstrap.  We
have not interfaced with any specific LRMs, but use GRAM to abstract
this away.

>> Ian
>>

>> Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Ioan Raicu