[Swift-devel] a different way to do array/structure accesses

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jun 29 20:34:41 CDT 2007

alternatively, I guess the path argument can be constructed on the fly (as
it looks like it might have been intended to once):

         <vdl:getfield var="{a}">
            <argument name="path">
              <concat>
                <string>[<string>
                ... compiled expression code here ...
                <string>]</string>
              </concat>
           </argument>
          </vdl:getfield>..

That's less aesthetically pleasing to me than the multiple-getfield form,
though.

On the gripping hand, we could say that array subscripts can only be
constants or variable names and disallow expressions there. That perhaps
reflects the status quo more accurately, although I don't like it.