[Swift-devel] Re: Could not convert value to number: true

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 08:54:45 CDT 2007

I moved this to swift-devel from swift-user.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> As for doing what you want, I have to think about it.

We've talked in the past about more elaborate forms of mapping. Mapping
data from other sources (rather than from disk data files, perhaps from
databases); and mapping data (from whatever source) into the actual swift
data space so that things like + and other operators can work on that
data.

Until/unless a strong application need arises for those, I don't think
they're high enough priority for us to implement any time soon.

Separately, I think its a bug that we allow the above code to compile and
run with such a poor error message.  Probably, attempts to get the value
of a mapped piece of data should cause an error, rather than returning
'true' which is often not even of the right datatype, let alone a
meaningful value. I'll put something in bugzilla for this.