[Swift-devel] Swift Performance Data

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Jun 25 12:42:23 CDT 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Ioan Raicu wrote:

>  On the other hand, the logs
> that are geared towards graphing them (2) are mostly based on fixed time
> intervals, and a few are based on events.

right. I think there's a need for both (eg. compare task queue lengths or
CPU load against job lifetime lines).

> also relatively easy to add new state information to log to these existing
> logs since they are all localized in a few places, with little effort, I can
> add new metrics to monitor

but only when those metrics are somehow associated with Falkon? One of the
interesting things to do, I think, is to be able to get a job lifetime
line that goes from when Swift decides the job exists all the way through
to when Swift decides the job has finished, with the two/three colour job
lines for jobs being inside Falkon as part of that lifetime line.

> On the other hand, my debug logs (1-4) are all handled via log4j, look more
> like the traditional logs that log4j generates and people are accustomed to,
> but from my point of view, these are tedious and error-prone to parse for
> graphing purposes.

log4j can easily be configured to output different formats - so we could
have human readable logs in one format and machine readable logs logging
different information in a different format, I think.

> Does this distinction (human readable vs. machine readable) between logs exist
> in Swift?

A little bit. The data in the swift/karajan logs is mostly intended for
human consumption; the data in kickstart records is very much more
structured and intended to be both human readable and machine readable.

More machine readable edge and level based logging from inside swift and
inside karajan could be useful, I think.