[Swift-devel] Re: [Swft] Q about throttling

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 22 09:06:32 CDT 2007

No, I didn't keep track of this info, unless Swift does this through
some of its logs.

Over the last week, my observations have been the following: Swift is
more than capable and willing to send out many tasks as long as they are
independent (as can be seen in this graph where probably 6800 tasks got
submitted), but thereafter, it had no other burst of task submission,
although I believe it could have send out more.  For example, there were
2500+ tasks that failed in the middle of those 6800 tasks (which were
all independent), why were 2500 tasks not resubmitted all at once...
they were each about 200 seconds long, so most of them should have
certainly showed up in the wait queue.

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
>> kept busy, and the Falkon queue length was relatively at 0... so this means
>> that Swift was not submitting fast enough to keep all the executors busy.
>>

> interesting. though around t=1000 there is a rapid burst of submission
> getting the queue length up to about 6000 in a few minutes.
>
> Do you know what the cpu time usage of the swift submitting JVM was over
> that time period?

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory