[Swift-devel] CPU usage with provider-deef

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Jun 16 09:17:13 CDT 2007

Actually, it was a bug the Falkon provider, there was a tight polling
loop on a task queue even if it was empty... it got fixed with one line
of code :)  its now running the CPU relatively idle for Nika's workflow
which doesn't require high throughputs.

Thanks Yong for fixing it!

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> It was running something like 68 jobs in 15 minutes. Kinda scary if each
> of those jobs needs 15 cpu.seconds on the submit side.
>
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>

>> That can either be good or bad. If the CPU is used doing meaningful
>> stuff, then it's good. In other words, I'm guessing that the job
>> throughput is also higher with Falkon.
>>
>> Mihael
>>
>> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 16:48 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday, I was playing a bit with Ioan and Nika - they submitted a 68
>>> node / 15 minute workflow through provider-deef & falkon and saw the swift
>>> JVM on the submit node using about 100% CPU; then the same workflow
>>> running through the GT2 GRAM provider rather than provider-deef and falkon
>>> appeared to use significantly less.
>>>
>>> I wandered off at that point so don't know if any interesting results came
>>> after.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory