[Swift-devel] on the semantics of 'array closing'

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jun 15 15:13:23 CDT 2007

There is a problem that has been called the 'array closing problem'.

It manifests itself in the tutorial in that certain bits of code that
intuitively can either in a procedure or in the top level can, in
practice, only go in to a procedure.

In that context, I tried to think about better ways to explain/document
the behaviour than "mumble mumble move that code into a procedure".

In Swift we claim to have 'single assignment variables'.

>From single assignment variables we get our grid job ordering:

  a = p()
  b = s(a)

causes first grid job p to run, and when that has completed, then grid job
s will run.

This is the same as if we had written:

  b = s(a)
  a = p()

The ordering comes from the use of a as an 'output' for p and an 'input'
for s, not from source text ordering.

In that model, its meaningless to assign two different things ta a, like
this:

  a = p()
  b = s(a)
  a = t()

Note that I've omitted the data types from the above. This works in the
implementation for simple types such as a datafile marker type.

What is important is that each variable is either unassigned or has its
single value - whenever we refer to that variable, we can either use the
value it has, or defer evaluation of that expression until the variable
has its value.

Now consider arrays. In the present syntax, arrays can be passed as
single (complex) values to/from procedures, like before:

  a = p()
  b = s(a)

Here a and b are array types.

That's fine. a is assigned to by the first statement, and b is assigned to
by the second statement.

But we also support a different assignment syntax for arrays, that looks
like this:

  a[0] = p()
  a[1] = q()
  b = s(a)

This fails at the moment (specifically, I think the execution engine will
hang).

Why? Because the is no one point at which we assign a value to 'a' - the
assignment is split over multiple statements, which can be in various
places (and inside loops etc).

There is nothing in the implementation that detects that a has been
assigned its value.

So there is this notion in the karajan intermediate code of 'closing an
array'.  This is an assertion made in the object code that all assignments
to pieces of an array have been made - that, in affect, the array has its
value.

The suggested hack/workaround for this is to move the array element
assignments into a procedure:

 (file f[]) z() {
   f[0] = p();
   f[1] - q();
 }

 a = z()
 b = s(a)

This works. (which is sort-of a violation of referential transparency)

It works because Swift implicitly marks arrays returned from compound
procedures as closed (which may or may not be correct).

So in most variable scopes, arrays behave like single-assignment
variables, but each array can have one specific scope in which members can
be assigned to. In that scope, the array cannot be treated as a whole
variable.

In the z() example above, that special scope is the body of z(). In the
previous example, that scope is the global scope, and the program is
invalid by the rule above that the array cannot be referred to as a whole
in the same place that its members are individually assigned to.

That's my explanation of what's going on now. I think it matches reality.
I don't like that this is reality, but it is what we have.

Comments appreciated.