[Swift-devel] numeric type(s) in swift.

Mike Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 20 13:30:13 CDT 2007

Ben Clifford wrote, On 7/20/2007 11:47 AM:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Mike Wilde wrote:
>
>> Can we leave things as they are for the moment and come back to this when we
>> have more concrete examples?
>
> not really - its sufficiently poorly defined and badly behaved at the
> moment that its causing me trouble with the bug 30 work - I'm doing things
> which make stronger type demands than have been previously needed, and so
> the typing needs to be more consistent.

OK, thats what I wanted to know.  So we do need to discuss it now.

> In the absence of any particularly compelling argument in any way, I'll
> make it consistent in the way that is easiest to me.

Im eager to hear what you propose, but reserve the right to call for more
discussion if I feel its necessary.

I suggested we defer the discussion because I felt that issues of mapping are
more important, and I thought those were independent of the nature of numeric types.

But if you feel bug 30 is compelling enough to force a decision on this now,
then we should discuss deeper.

Mike Wilde
Math & Computer Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory