[Swift-devel] numeric type(s) in swift.

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jul 20 09:37:14 CDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Yong Zhao wrote:

> I've used float. I think the problem is on the contrary that int and float
> may not be enough, we may need more numeric types.
>
> The issues we are having now is just we need a vdl library to deal with
> numeric operations, instead of relying on karajan (karajan only has double
> type, which is not good for cases when we only need int).

There's a type issue to.

What is the type of this expression?

   5 + 3

and should this be permitted?

  float f = 5 + 3;

There's a bunch of type conversion going on at the moment that isn't
terribly well defined and that causes me trouble when I want to put in
more type information/checking.

I bring this up because its getting in the way of my
proper-xml-intermediate-format work.