[Swift-devel] bug 23

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 26 14:31:15 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 20:20 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> Something else which ties in is the whole exception discussion; however, I
> realise I don't actually understand the problem very well in the sense of
> what the application outputs. It would be nice for my understanding of
> that for the app person for the app(s) that need (which I think is mihael
> for BRIC, according to rumour?) could give a summary in the style of my
> bug 22 summary of nika's problem about what files exist before and after
> (in both the 'ok' and 'exceptional' cases), and how that should affect the
> on-going workflow, in the terms of swift pseudo code fragments.

There is no rule, but a wrapper can be used to adapt arbitrary behavior
to a consistent thing.

In the BRIC case, the output file exists, but it contains a specific
string (something to the extent of "no clusters found"). In general,
however, any number of schemes may be adopted by applications: a message
on STD*, an exit code !=0, no output file produced, of o combination of
these.