[Swift-devel] remote file/directory stuff (bug 22)

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 26 14:27:56 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 20:19 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
[...]
> 2. extend the SwiftScript app {} syntax to allow different expression of
> output files, by specifying that swift should expect to find them in more
> explicitly named files, rather than passing on the app commandline.
>
> Thus we might change the above app code fragment to something like this:
>
>  (file k, file m, file n) Antchmbr (file l) {
>         app {
>             antch "-i" @l ;
>             k <@strcat(@l,".crd");
>             m <@strcat(@l,".prd");
>             n <@strcat(@l,".rtf");
>         }
>  }

Right. This would be the "application mapper".
Now, there are a few things here:
We may also want to do the same to the input, because some even more
twisted apps will not even accept that as a parameter. So:
(file k, file m, file n) myapp(file l) {
  app{
    l>"input.txt";
    myapp;
    k<"output.crd"
    m<"output.prd"
    n<"output.rtf"
  }
}

This may become a little trickier when inputs (or even outputs) are
arrays, so we may need nicer schemes:
(file o) myapp(file i[]){
  app{
    i[x=*] > "input"+$1; (or something like that)
    myapp;
  }
}

Mihael

> which says that when the application has run, the three output files will
> be located in/under the run directory in those locations. This would then
> give swift sufficient information to locate the three output files rather
> than assuming the output names.

[...]