[Swift-devel] Interesting observation when running Swift

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 10 12:20:06 CDT 2007

That's the VDC scenario to a large extent, where the VDC is a filesystem
with metadata and a few nice things like locking, replication, and
listeners (publish/subscribe). In principle, this is what the futures
+Swift types are: an in-memory file system with a p/s mechanism.

Efficient implementation of such things on top of existing filesystems
is, I think, not that easy. Note that the p/s mechanism would need to be
emulated (perhaps by polling the disks). Location-independence may also
prove tricky, since you'd need to support these for things like GridFTP.

So yes, it would be useful, but pretty difficult, and then you start
asking yourself if another solution wouldn't achieve the same thing
faster.