sieve-dev [Roy Stogner] Re: [Libmesh-devel] LibMesh namespace?

Jed Brown jed at 59a2.org
Mon Jun 21 16:32:51 CDT 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:09:40 +0000, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can say that about any name.

But "ALE" has no connection to "PETSc" or "Sieve" (admittedly KSP, SNES,
TS are arbitrary too).  It's an obscure connection, and I don't even
know what it stands for.  But already PETSc has a "PETSc" namespace, so
it would make sense to me that ALE go inside the PETSc namespace (at
least if you're going to tout how correctly namespaced your C++ is).

> We both do mesh stuff. I do not see why it is "more legitimate" for them to
> do it.

Because it's the name of their library and has been for about a decade.

> I thought this was changed for PETSc 3. Now it should be
> sieve/Mesh.hh.

In -dev:

  petscmesh.h:#include <Mesh.hh>
  petscmesh.h:#include <CartesianSieve.hh>
  petscmesh.h:#include <Distribution.hh>
  petscmesh.h:#include <Generator.hh>

It also looks like there is a bunch of unnamespaced non-C stuff in
petscmesh*.hh.

Jed