sieve-dev building petsc-dev on IBM AIX

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 19:40:50 CDT 2008

Hi,

I noticed that changes have been made to make petsc-dev compilable on AIX
systems with the xlc compilers.  Therefore, I re-visited the same issue
again with the latest petsc-dev code on an IBM P5 machine running AIX
5.3.0.50.
I tried to build petsc-dev with
*PETSC_DIR=`pwd` PETSC_ARCH="aix5.3.0.0-cxx-opt" config/configure.py
--with-debugging=no --with-cxx="mpCC_r  -q64" --with-fortran=0
--with-shared=1  --with-clanguage=C++  --with-sieve=1 --download-boost=1
PETSC_DIR=`pwd` PETSC_ARCH="aix5.3.0.0-cxx-opt"  make*

The configuration went perfectly, without any complaint.
However, I got lots of messages during the make:
*"../../sieve/Sifter.hh", line 560.180: 1540-1281 (W) "offsetof" cannot be
applied to "struct Arrow<int,int,int>".  It is not a POD (plain old data)
type.*

Other than this problem, the rest seems fine.  I got the same offsetof POD
problem when compiling my code with the newly built petsc-dev library. I am
very encouraged by with since last time we saw lots of different error
messages.

So I am wondering what we can do to solve the offsetof POD problem. We
definitely did not see this with g++. . My version is
seki at cortex conf $ mpCC_r -qversion
IBM XL C/C++ Enterprise Edition V8.0 for AIX
Version: 08.00.0000.0013

Thank you very much.
Shi Jin