[petsc-users] How to create an array of vectors of type Vec (for use with slepc EPSGetInvariantSubspace)

dazza simplythebest sayosale at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 07:20:54 CDT 2024

Dear Jose,
        Many thanks for the guidance. I haven't yet extensively tested the program, but I will cautiously
claim that it seems to be working
on the small   test problem described below (i.e. a small modification of your ex1f.F program).  I am currently
 using version 3.20, but I will upgrade to 3.22 when it comes out.
For the Laplace problem with n=50 , using the gd method and seeking to find the two leading eigenmodes (nev=2)
  using a space of dimension ncv = 30, with default tolerance,  on the first solution
(using a randomized initial subspace) the algorithm requires 91 iterations to converge,
 whereas for the second solution (using the previous solution invariant subspace as an initial subspace)
it finds the solution in 2 iterations.
      Many thanks once again and best wishes,
         Dan.

>The Fortran interface is not fully tested. In particular, this function is not employed in any of the Fortran examples.

>The Fortran interface has undergone successive improvements in recent times. I have tried the following:

  >    Vec, pointer :: subspace_receive(:)
    >  PetscCall(EPSGetConverged(eps, nconv, ierr))
    >  PetscCall(MatCreateVecs(A, PETSC_NULL_VEC, xr, ierr))
    >  PetscCall(VecDuplicateVecsF90(xr, nconv, subspace_receive, ierr))
    >  PetscCall(EPSGetInvariantSubspace(eps, subspace_receive, ierr))
    >  PetscCall(VecDestroyVecsF90(nconv, subspace_receive, ierr))
    >  PetscCall(VecDestroy(xr, ierr))

>I have tested this in the 'main' branch and it works as expected (note that 'main' will become version 3.22 in two weeks). You can try with version 3.21 and it may work, > probably not in older versions.

  *   Jose