[petsc-users] ISView() in PETSc 3.22

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 07:01:14 CDT 2024

On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 10:15 PM Adrian Croucher <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> hi, I am testing my (Fortran) code on PETSc 3.22 and have got it to
> build. However I am getting some unusual new behaviour when I write an
> IS to an HDF5 file using ISView().
>
> The attached minimal example shows the issue. It creates a simple
> 10-element IS and writes it to HDF5. With previous versions of PETSc
> this would give me a 10x1 dataset containing the values 0 - 9, as expected.
>
> When I run it with PETSc 3.22 (in serial), I again get the expected
> values written on stdout, so it looks like the IS itself is correct. But
> in the HDF5 file I get a 1x3 dataset containing the values (10,1,0).
>
> Has something changed here?

Yes. We now compress IS data sets by default. You can turn it off using
-is_view_compress 0. I am not sure
what the best way to manage this is, but it makes a huge difference in file
size for checkpointing.

https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!ejndUdBS4n9snwyvw_Y8jvSAdi6ga-LyUR7oasMzcbtNb3GQ_PbPcBenOALwXgN3HaoVuMUgTtv9bCTCkhv7$  <https://urldefense.us/v3/__http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/*knepley/__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!ejndUdBS4n9snwyvw_Y8jvSAdi6ga-LyUR7oasMzcbtNb3GQ_PbPcBenOALwXgN3HaoVuMUgTtv9bMtXp0lG$ >