[petsc-users] [11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation] petsc4py.TAO

Paganini, Alberto D.M. (Dr.) a.paganini at leicester.ac.uk
Mon May 27 18:23:02 CDT 2024

Many thanks Barry, that really helped! In my ignorance I was confused by petsc4py’s signature

setJacobianEquality(self, jacobian_equality, Mat J=None, Mat P=None, args=None, kargs=None)

which I misread as setting J was optional. Here is the complete working code for the public archive in case someone else has the same question.

import petsc4py.PETSc as PETSc
# initial guess
x = PETSc.Vec().createSeq(2)
x.set(0)
x.assemble()
print("initial guess: ", x.array_r)
# create TAO solver and set solution
solver = PETSc.TAO().create()
solver.setType("almm")
solver.setFromOptions()
# add objective and gradient routines
solver.setSolution(x)
def myObjGrad(tao, x, g):
    J = x[0]**2 + x[1]**2
    dJ = 2*x
    dJ.copy(g)
    return J
solver.setObjectiveGradient(myObjGrad, None)
# add equality constraint and its derivative
def myEqualityConstraint(tao, x, ce):
    ce.set((x[0]-2)**2 + x[1]**2 - 1)
ce = PETSc.Vec().createSeq(1)
ce.assemble()
solver.setEqualityConstraints(myEqualityConstraint, ce)
def myEqualityJacobian(tao, x, JE, JEpre):
    v = PETSc.Vec().createSeq(2)
    v.setValue(0, 4)
    v.assemble()
    vals = 2*x - v
    JE.setValues(0, [0, 1], vals.array_r)
    JE.assemble()
JE = PETSc.Mat().createDense([1,2])
JE.assemble()
solver.setJacobianEquality(myEqualityJacobian, JE)
# solve the problem
solver.solve()
print("found optimum at: ", solver.getSolution().array_r)
solver.destroy()

Best,
Alberto