[petsc-users] Questions on TAO and gradient norm / inner products

Blauth, Sebastian sebastian.blauth at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jul 12 06:08:23 CDT 2024

Dear Barry,

thanks for the clarification. Oh, that’s unfortunate, that not all TAO algorithms use the supplied matrix for the norm (and then probably also not for computing inner products in, e.g., the limited memory formulas).

I fear that I don’t have sufficient time at the moment to make a MR. I could, however, provide some “minimal” example where the behavior is shown. However, that example would be using petsc4py as I am only familiar with that and I would use the fenics FEM package to define the matrices. Would this be okay? And if that’s the case, should I post the example here or at the petsc gitlab?

Best regards,

Sebastian

--

Dr. Sebastian Blauth

Fraunhofer-Institut für

Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM

Abteilung Transportvorgänge

Fraunhofer-Platz 1, 67663 Kaiserslautern

Telefon: +49 631 31600-4968

sebastian.blauth at itwm.fraunhofer.de <mailto:sebastian.blauth at itwm.fraunhofer.de>

https://www.itwm.fraunhofer.de