[petsc-users] Unique number in each element of a DMPlex mesh

Berend van Wachem berend.vanwachem at ovgu.de
Thu Feb 8 08:54:00 CST 2024

Dear Matt,

I have now written a code to transform a DMPlex coming from a DMForest
to a DMPlex of type DM_POLY, by removing the double faces and edges.
Also, I can successfully write this transformed DMPlex of type DM_POLY
to a file.

However, the code to perform the transformation only works on a single
process. Therefore, I distribute the original DMForest to process 0,
perform the transformation to obtain a DMPlex of type DM_POLY.

Is there a way, I can redistribute the transformed DMPlex back to the
original distribution based on the cells' distribution of the original
DMPlex? Can I somehow "store" the distribution of a DMPlex based on how
the cells are divided over the processes, and distribute back to this
original distribution?

Thanks, best regards,
Berend.

p.s. If someone is interested in the code to transform a DMForest to a
DMPlex of type DM_POLY, I am more than happy to share.