[petsc-users] CUDA GPU supported KSPs and PCs

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Apr 24 10:08:05 CDT 2024

   It is less a question of what KSP and PC support running with CUDA and more a question of what parts of each KSP and PC run with CUDA (and which parts don't causing memory traffic back and forth between the CPU and GPU).

     Generally speaking, all the PETSc Vec operations run on CUDA. Thus "all" the KSP "support CUDA". For Mat operations, it is more complicated; triangular solves do not run well (or at all) on CUDA but much of the other operations do run on CUDA. Since setting and and solving with some PC involved rather complicated Mat operations (like PCGAMG and PCFIELDSPLIT) parts may work on CUDA and parts may not.

     The best way to determine how the GPU is being utilized is to run with -log_view and look at the columns that present the amount of memory traffic between the CPU and GPU and the percentage of floating point that is done on the GPU. Feel free to ask specific questions about the output. In some cases, given the output, we may be able to add additional CUDA support that is missing to decrease the memory traffic between the CPU and GPU and increase the flops done on the GPU.

    We cannot produce a table of what is "supported" and what is not supported or even how much is supported since there are so many combinations of possible, hence it is best to run to determine the problematic places.