[petsc-users] About recent changes in GAMG

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 19 17:59:39 CDT 2024

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 5:06 PM Ashish Patel <ashish.patel at ansys.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> That seems to be a PCSetup specific outcome. If I use option2 where
> "-pc_gamg_aggressive_square_graph false" then PetscMatStashSpaceGet for
> rank0 falls down to 40 MB, with hypre (option4) I don't get that function
> at all. Have attached logs for both.

The "square" graph uses Mat-Mat-Mult on the graph of the matrix, and hypre
does not.
The coarse grid space "smoother" (SA) also uses a Mat-Mat-Mult and hypre's
AMG algorithm does not.
I suspect hypre has a custom coarsener that coarsens "aggressively" and is
memory efficient.
Mat-Mat-Mult is brute force and slow on CPU, but not bad on GPUs as I
recall, which was the reason that I put in the new aggressive
coarsener last year that uses a different algorithm.

And with square graph:

[0] 2 7 694 605 360 MatStashSortCompress_Private()
That is enormous. I imagine MatStashSortCompress_Private could use some
love.

[0] 2 7 694 605 360 MatStashSortCompress_Private()
[1] 2   100 354 160 MatStashSortCompress_Private()
Ditto on love

The "GAMG" metadata looks fine, but the grid complexities are a bit high,
but that is a detail.
These look like linear tetrahedral elements, which coarsen a bit slow even
with aggressive coarsening but it's not that bad.
Linear tets are pretty bad for elasticity and P2 would coarsen faster
naturally.

There is some load imbalance in the memory of matrices:
[0] 40 1 218 367 920 MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation_SeqAIJ()
[1] 40   677 649 104 MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation_SeqAIJ()
The coarse grid is on processor 0, but it is not that large. Like 5Mb.
Not sure what that is about.

It is not clear to me why the Mat-Mat in square graph is such a problem but
the Mat-Mat-Mat in the RAP and the Mat-Mat in SA are not catastrophic, but
maybe I am not interpreting this correctly.
Regardless it looks like the Mat-Mat methods could use some attention.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,