[petsc-users] PETSc build asks for network connections

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Sun Mar 19 20:45:03 CDT 2023

  I found a bit more information in gmakefile.test which has the magic sauce used by make test to stop the firewall popups while running the test suite.

# MACOS FIREWALL HANDLING
# - if run with MACOS_FIREWALL=1
#   (automatically set in $PETSC_ARCH/lib/petsc/conf/petscvariables if configured --with-macos-firewall-rules),
#   ensure mpiexec and test executable is on firewall list
#
ifeq ($(MACOS_FIREWALL),1)
FW := /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw
# There is no reliable realpath command in macOS without need for 3rd party tools like homebrew coreutils
# Using Python's realpath seems like the most robust way here
realpath-py = $(shell $(PYTHON) -c 'import os, sys; print(os.path.realpath(sys.argv[1]))' $(1))
#
define macos-firewall-register
  @APP=$(call realpath-py, $(1)); \
    if ! sudo -n true 2>/dev/null; then printf "Asking for sudo password to add new firewall rule for\n  $$APP\n"; fi; \
    sudo $(FW) --remove $$APP --add $$APP --blockapp $$APP
endef
endif

and below. When building each executable it automatically calls socketfilterfw on that executable so it won't popup.

From this I think you can reverse engineer how to turn it off for your executables.

Perhaps PETSc's make ex1 etc should also apply this magic sauce, Pierre?