[petsc-users] PETSc build asks for network connections

Amneet Bhalla mail2amneet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:25:53 CDT 2023

Yes, this is MPI that is triggering the apple firewall. If I allow it it
gets added to the allowed list (see the screenshot) and it does not trigger
the firewall again. However, this needs to be done for all executables
(there will be several main2d's in the list). Any way to suppress it
for all executables linked to mpi in the first place?

[image: Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 2.19.53 PM.png]

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 11:01 AM Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 1:59 PM Amneet Bhalla <mail2amneet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm building PETSc without mpi (I built mpich v 4.1.1 locally). Here is
>> the configure command line that I used:
>>
>> ./configure --CC=mpicc --CXX=mpicxx --FC=mpif90 --PETSC_ARCH=darwin-dbg
>> --with-debugging=1 --download-hypre=1 --with-x=0
>>

> No, this uses MPI, it just does not built it. Configuring with
> --with-mpi=0 will shut off any use of MPI, which is what Satish thinks is
> bugging the firewall.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>     Matt
>

>> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 10:56 AM Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> I think its due to some of the system calls from MPI.
>>>
>>> You can verify this with a '--with-mpi=0' build.
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is a way to build mpich or openmpi - that doesn't
>>> trigger Apple's firewall..
>>>
>>> Satish

>>> using
>>> stage I