[petsc-users] Create a nest not aligned by processors

Berger Clement clement.berger at ens-lyon.fr
Fri Mar 17 13:35:33 CDT 2023

That might be it, I didn't find the equivalent of MatConvert for the
vectors, so when I need to solve my linear system, with my righthandside
properly computed in nest format, I create a new vector using
VecDuplicate, and then I copy into it my data using VecGetArrayF90 and
copiing each element by hand. Does it create an incorrect ordering ? If
so how can I get the correct one ?

---
Clément BERGER
ENS de Lyon

Le 2023-03-17 19:27, Barry Smith a écrit :

> I would run your code with small sizes on 1, 2, 3 MPI ranks and use MatView() to examine the matrices. They will definitely be ordered differently but should otherwise be the same. My guess is that the right hand side may not have the correct ordering with respect to the matrix ordering in parallel. Note also that when the right hand side does have the correct ordering the solution will have a different ordering for each different number of MPI ranks when printed (but changing the ordering should give the same results up to machine precision.
>
> Barry
>
> On Mar 17, 2023, at 2:23 PM, Berger Clement <clement.berger at ens-lyon.fr> wrote:
>
> My issue is that it seems to improperly with some step of my process, the solve step doesn't provide the same result depending on the number of processors I use. I manually tried to multiply one the matrices I defined as a nest against a vector, and the result is not the same with e.g. 1 and 3 processors. That's why I tried the toy program I wrote in the first place, which highlights the misplacement of elements.
>
> ---
> Clément BERGER
> ENS de Lyon
>
> Le 2023-03-17 19:14, Barry Smith a écrit :
> This sounds  like a fine use of MATNEST. Now back to the original question
>
> I want to construct a matrix by blocs, each block having different sizes and partially stored by multiple processors. If I am not mistaken, the right way to do so is by using the MATNEST type. However, the following code
>
> Call MatCreateConstantDiagonal(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,PETSC_DECIDE,PETSC_DECIDE,4,4,2.0E0_wp,A,ierr)
> Call MatCreateConstantDiagonal(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,PETSC_DECIDE,PETSC_DECIDE,4,4,1.0E0_wp,B,ierr)
> Call MatCreateNest(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,2,PETSC_NULL_INTEGER,2,PETSC_NULL_INTEGER,(/A,PETSC_NULL_MAT,PETSC_NULL_MAT,B/),C,ierr)
>
> does not generate the same matrix depending on the number of processors. It seems that it starts by everything owned by the first proc for A and B, then goes on to the second proc and so on (I hope I am being clear).
>
> Is it possible to change that ?
   If I understand correctly it is behaving as expected. It is the same
matrix on 1 and 2 MPI processes, the only difference is the ordering of
the rows and columns.

  Both matrix blocks are split among the two MPI processes. This is how
MATNEST works and likely what you want in practice.