[petsc-users] Overcoming slow convergence with GMRES+Hypre BoomerAMG

Christopher, Joshua jchristopher at anl.gov
Thu Mar 2 15:22:38 CST 2023

Hi Barry and Mark,

Thank you for looking into my problem. The two equations I am solving with PETSc are equations 6 and 7 from this paper: https://ris.utwente.nl/ws/portalfiles/portal/5676495/Roghair+Paper_final_draft_v1.pdf

I just used MUMPS and SuperLU_DIST on my full-size problem (with 3,000,000 unknowns). To clarify, I did a direct solve with -ksp_type preonly. They take a very long time, about 30 minutes for MUMPS and 18 minutes for SuperLU_DIST, see attached output. For reference, the same matrix took 658 iterations of BoomerAMG and about 20 seconds of walltime. Maybe I am already getting a great deal with BoomerAMG!

I'll try removing some terms from my solve (e.g. removing the second equation, then making the second equation just the elliptic portion of the equation, etc.) and try with a simpler geometry. I'll keep you updated as I run into troubles with that route. I wasn't aware of Field Split preconditioners, I'll do some reading on them and give them a try as well.

Thank you again,
Joshua