[petsc-users] Advice on small block matrix vector multiplication

Duan Junming junming.duan at epfl.ch
Sun Jun 18 13:12:43 CDT 2023

Dear all,

I am using DMPlex to manage the unknowns, two fields, one for pressure, and one for velocities with two/three components, defined in each cell. They're represented by polynomials, with N (10~50) dofs for each component.
I have an operator which can be written in a matrix form (N-by-N, dense), to be applied on the pressure field or each component of the velocities in each cell (the same for each cell and also for each component).
I was wondering which matrix should be defined to implement the block matrix-vector multiplication, here block means the pressure or the component of the velocities. Maybe a sequential block mat? Could you recommend any example?
Or I just implement this matrix-vector multiplication by hand?

Thanks!
Junming