[petsc-users] GPU implementation of serial smoothers

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jan 10 14:03:38 CST 2023

Mark Lohry <mlohry at gmail.com> writes:

> I definitely need multigrid. I was under the impression that GAMG was
> relatively cuda-complete, is that not the case? What functionality works
> fully on GPU and what doesn't, without any host transfers (aside from
> what's needed for MPI)?
>
> If I use -ksp-pc_type gamg -mg_levels_pc_type pbjacobi -mg_levels_ksp_type
> richardson is that fully on device, but -mg_levels_pc_type ilu or
> -mg_levels_pc_type sor require transfers?

You can do `-mg_levels_pc_type ilu`, but it'll be extremely slow (like 20x slower than an operator apply). One can use Krylov smoothers, though that's more synchronization. Automatic construction of operator-dependent multistage smoothers for linear multigrid (because Chebyshev only works for problems that have eigenvalues near the real axis) is something I've wanted to develop for at least a decade, but time is always short. I might put some effort into p-MG with such smoothers this year as we add DDES to our scale-resolving compressible solver.