[petsc-users] GPU implementation of serial smoothers

Mark Lohry mlohry at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:19:42 CST 2023

> Is DILU a point-block method? We have -pc_type pbjacobi (and vpbjacobi if
> the node size is not uniform). The are good choices for scale-resolving CFD
> on GPUs.

I was hoping you'd know :)  pbjacobi is underperforming ilu by a pretty
wide margin on some of the systems i'm looking at.

We don't have colored smoothers currently in PETSc.

So what happens under the hood when I run -mg_levels_pc_type sor on GPU?
Are you actually decomposing the matrix into lower and computing updates
with matrix multiplications? Or is it just the standard serial algorithm
with thread safety ignored?