[petsc-users] setting a vector with VecSetValue versus VecSetValues

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Jan 5 22:21:36 CST 2023

  Note there is also VecSetValuesLocal() that takes ghosted local indices (ghosted local indices are different from your meaning of "local indices"). See https://petsc.org/release/docs/manualpages/Vec/VecSetValuesLocal/  https://petsc.org/release/docs/manualpages/Vec/VecSetLocalToGlobalMapping/

  Barry

> On Jan 5, 2023, at 12:41 PM, Alfredo Jaramillo <ajaramillopalma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> omg... for some reason I was thinking it takes local indices. Yes.. modifying that line the code works well.
>
> thank you!
> Alfredo
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 10:38 AM Junchao Zhang <junchao.zhang at gmail.com <mailto:junchao.zhang at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> VecSetValue() also needs global indices, so you need PetscInt gl_row = (PetscInt)(i)+rstart;
>>
>> --Junchao Zhang
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 11:25 AM Alfredo Jaramillo <ajaramillopalma at gmail.com <mailto:ajaramillopalma at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> dear PETSc developers,
>>>
>>> I have a code where I copy an array to a distributed petsc vector with the next lines:
>>>
>>> 1        for (int i = 0; i < ndof_local; i++) {
>>> 2            PetscInt gl_row = (PetscInt)(i)+rstart;
>>> 3            PetscScalar val = (PetscScalar)u[i];
>>> 4            VecSetValues(x,1,&gl_row,&val,INSERT_VALUES);