[petsc-users] petsc compiled without MPI

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 26 09:38:59 CST 2023

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023, Pierre Jolivet wrote:

> > On 25 Feb 2023, at 11:44 PM, Long, Jianbo <jl7037 at mun.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > For some of my applications, I need to use petsc without mpi, or use it sequentially. I wonder where I can find examples/tutorials for this ?
>
> You can run sequentially with just a single MPI process (-n 1).

even if you build with mpich/openmpi - you can run sequentially without mpiexec - i.e:

./binary

One reason to do this [instead of building PETSc with --with-mpi=0] - is if you are mixing in multiple pkgs that have MPI dependencies [in which case - its best to build all these pkgs with the same mpich or openmpi - but still run sequentially].

Satish