[petsc-users] MG on GPU: Benchmarking and avoiding vector host->device copy

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Feb 22 12:46:19 CST 2023

OK, Nsight Systems is a good way to see what is going on.

So all three of your solvers are not traversing the MG hierching with the
correct logic.
I don't know about hypre but PCMG and AMGx are pretty simple and AMGx dives
into the AMGx library directly from out interface.
Some things to try:
* Use -options_left to make sure your options are being used (eg, spelling
mistakes)
* Use -ksp_view to see a human readable list of your solver parameters.
* Use -log_trace to see if the correct methods are called.
 - PCMG calls PCMGMCycle_Private for each of the cycle in code like:
   for (i = 0; i < mg->cyclesperpcapply; i++)
PetscCall(PCMGMCycle_Private(pc, mglevels + levels - 1, transpose, matapp,
NULL));
- AMGx is called PCApply_AMGX and then it dives into the library. See where
these three calls to AMGx are called from.

Mark