[petsc-users] Segregated solvers in PETSc

Miguel Angel Salazar de Troya miguel.salazar at corintis.com
Tue Feb 14 08:12:16 CST 2023

Hello,

I am solving the Navier-Stokes equation and an advection-diffusion equation
to model the temperature. They are fully coupled because the viscosity is
temperature dependent. I plan to solve the fully-coupled problem with a
segregated approach: I first solve the Navier-Stokes equation for a fixed
temperature and feed the velocity to the thermal equation, then use that
temperature back in the Navier-Stokes equation to solve for the velocity
again until I reach convergence. If I assemble the residual and jacobian
for the fully coupled system with the proper fields section for the
fieldsplit preconditioner (I am using Firedrake), is there a way to tell
PETSc to solve the problem with a segregated approach?

Thanks,
Miguel