[petsc-users] Applying Natural Boundary Conditions using PETSc FEM Technology

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:02:14 CST 2023

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 12:23 PM Brandon Denton via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I am currently working on an Inviscid Navier-Stokes problem and would like
> to apply DM_BC_NATURAL boundary conditions to my domain. Looking through
> the example files on petsc.org, I noticed that in almost all cases there
> are the following series of calls.
>
> PetscCall(DMAddBoundary(dm, DM_BC_NATURAL, "wall", label, 1, &id, 0, 0,
> NULL, NULL, NULL, user, &bd));
> PetscCall(PetscDSGetBoundary(ds, bd, &wf, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
> NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL));
> PetscCall(PetscWeakFormSetIndexBdResidual(wf, label, id, 0, 0, 0, f0_bd_u,
> 0, NULL));
>
> Is this the standard way of applying Natural boundary conditions in PETSc
> for FEM?

Yes. The problem is that AddBoundary was designed just to deliver boundary
values, but inhomogeneous Neumann conditions really want weak forms, and
the weak form interface came later. It is a little clunky.

> Also, I noticed in the signature for the  f0_bd_u function, there is a
> const PetscReal n[] array. What is this array and what information does it
> hold. Is it the normal vector at the point?

That is the normal at the evaluation point.