[petsc-users] obtaining estimated Hessian in BQNLS

Suh, Hansol hsuh at anl.gov
Tue Apr 25 12:56:57 CDT 2023

petsc's QN routines uses limited-memory variable metric format, which means explicit hessian is not constructed.
Instead of creating explicit hessian, TAO uses MatSolve, and MatMult, to "access" the hessian. So you can have access to Hx, and H^{-1}x, but not H matrix by itself.
And as of right now, there isn't a way to access such Hx, and H^{-1}x. (which also means that even if the routines to access Hx, H^{-1}x were there, getting those at each iteration doesn't really show much information, I think.)

(Sorry for email reply-chain screw up..)