[petsc-users] Fwd: Inquiry about the dual space (PetscFECreateTabulation_Basic)

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:57:34 CDT 2023

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 10:36 AM neil liu <liufield at gmail.com> wrote:

> When you say "For multicomponent spaces, we currently do not represent it
> as a tensor product over the scalar space, so we see 6 basis vectors."
> Here, muticomponent = two dimensional ?

If you have a vector in a two-dimensional space, it has 2 components, like
our coordinate vector.

> I am a little confused about the dimensions of the basis functions here.
> From
> https://petsc.org/release//src/dm/dt/fe/impls/basic/febasic.c.html#PETSCFEBASIC
>
> 144:     /* B[npoints, nodes, Nc] = tmpB[npoints, prime, Nc] * invV[prime, nodes] */
>
> How do you define tmpB here (npoints =3, prime =6, Nc =2)? I can get tmpB from
>
> PetscSpaceEvaluate_Polynomial, where, tmpB (1x9) is (the prime polynomial is defined by 1 x y))
>
> [ 1 -0.6667 -0.6667 1 -0.6667 0.3333 1 0.3333 -0.6666]. How do you transform from this 1x9 to 3x6x2 there.

npoints is the number of quadrature points at which to evaluate

nodes (pdim) is the number of functions in the space

Nc is the number of components for each function.

So a P1 basis for vectors looks like

six vectors with 2 components each.