[petsc-users] non-homogenous Dirichlet bc using MatZeroRowsColumns

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Apr 13 13:12:48 CDT 2023

  This is a good question.

 MatZeroRowsColumns() removes the rows and columns from the matrix and (optionally) updates the right hand side (and inserts values in the prescribed solution locations). Thus repeated calls cannot continue to update the right hand side vector; since the needed matrix values are gone.

The way I solve problems where the boundary solution depends on time is by replacing that term by differentiating that equation; and do not use MatZeroRowsColumns(). So let w be the solution at some grid point on the boundary and w(t) = f(t) then I write w'(t) = f'(t) and then code the f'(t) as the right hand side for that grid point. If f(t)= c is a constant then f'(t) is zero and I just code zero as the right hand side for that point and use the initial condition w(0) = c.

There may be better ways to do this.

Barry