[petsc-users] PETSc with 64 bit indices and MKL Sparse BLAS fails to build

Bro H broheimhelldawg29 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:47:08 CDT 2022

Barry, thanks, it appears to be working correctly after following your
latest suggestion. I used the following configuration command:

./configure --force --prefix=/opt/libs/petsc COPTFLAGS="-O3"
CXXOPTFLAGS="-O3" FOPTFLAGS="-O3" --with-precision=double
--with-64-bit-indices --with-64-bit-blas-indices
--known-64-bit-blas-indices=1
--with-blas-lapack-dir=/opt/intel/oneapi/mkl/latest/
--with-mkl_sparse=1 --with-mkl_sparse_optimize=1 --with-debugging=0
--with-shared-libraries=1 --with-cxx=0 --with-mpi=1 --with-hdf5=1
--with-hdf5-dir="${HDF5_ROOT}" --with-openmp=1

However, I still get warnings during build, with the exception that
MKL Sparse BLAS now expects long long int instead of int for MKL_INT:

warning: passing argument 7 of ‘mkl_sparse_d_export_csr’ from
incompatible pointer type [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
note: expected ‘long long int **’ but argument is of type ‘PetscInt
**’ {aka ‘long int **’}

Not a big problem for me right now since they are the same size in my
case. But these warnings should probably be fixed in the future.

Could you or other PETSc devs please add official support for MKL
Sparse BLAS with 64-bit indices in an upcoming PETSc release?