[petsc-users] [slepc] nan output for eigenvectors

Jose E. Roman jroman at dsic.upv.es
Fri Sep 9 02:21:47 CDT 2022

First, I would suggest that you add preallocation for SeqAIJ matrices, in this way you can run the program with 1 process:
  MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation(A, 0, d_nnz);
  MatSeqAIJSetPreallocation(B, 0, d_nnz);

With 1 process, the output files are correct. But with more than one process the eigenvector file is wrong because you are writing only the local part of the vector at process 0, and the rest of values are uninitialized - this is probably causing the NaN's.

To write a parallel vector to a file, you have to first gather the local parts in a sequential vector, see for instance VecScatterCreateToZero(). An easier way is to use PETSc/SLEPc functionality for writing the EPS solution (see section 2.5.4 of the SLEPc manual). For instance, the option
  -eps_view_vectors :evecs.m:ascii_matlab
will write a script evecs.m that you can run in Matlab to load the vectors. You can also write it in binary format
  -eps_view_vectors binary:evecs.bin
and then load the file with PetscBinaryRead.m (from $PETSC_DIR/share/petsc/matlab).

Jose