[petsc-users] how to reuse Mumps factorization

袁煕 yuanxi at advancesoft.jp
Wed Oct 19 07:59:55 CDT 2022

Hello,

I am using Mumps to solve a problem with multiple time steps. The matrix
structure does not change  but its value may or may not change  during
those steps. That means I should reuse the symbolic factorization but
recall numeric factorization when needed.

I have found the following anwser of a similar question
https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2020-August/041846.html

which says "it automatically uses the same factorization", but I don't know
if it includes numerical factorization also.

My question is :
1. Does numeric factorization do automatically? If not
2. Could I control when numeric factorization should be done and how to do
it?

Much thanks

YUAN