[petsc-users] Laplace Equation preconditioner

Alfredo J Duarte Gomez aduarteg at utexas.edu
Wed Oct 12 12:37:58 CDT 2022

Good morning PETSC users,

I have a current solver that requires the solution of a Laplace equation to
be reused for all future time steps.

The configuration is axisymmetric with Dirichlet BCs at the top and bottom
boundaries, and Zero Neumman conditions at the axis and far field. The grid
is curvilinear and structured.

So far I have been using PCHYPRE boomeramg as the preconditioner, which
often works well, but I have also experienced DIVERGED_BREAKDOWN on many
occasions. When I use direct solver PCMUMPS it always produces a
satisfactory answer, which gives me confidence that the solution exists for
the given grid in all these configurations where boomeramg fails.

I am looking for recommendations on other preconditioners to try in this
problem that can produce a solution faster than PCMUMPS, or recommendations
on which parameters to adjust on boomeramg.

Thank you,

--
Alfredo Duarte
Graduate Research Assistant