[petsc-users] clarification on extreme eigenvalues from KSPComputeEigenvalues

feng wang snailsoar at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:20:14 CDT 2022

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Below is the output if I call KSPComputeEigenvalues

0.330475 -0.0485014
0.521211 0.417409
0.684726 -0.377126
0.885941 0.354342
0.957845 -0.0508471
0.964676 -0.241642
1.05921 0.0742963
1.82065 -0.0209096

I have the following questions:

  *   These eigenvalues are sorted according to the magnitudes. so "lowest" means smallest magnitude and "highest" means largest magnitude in your previous email?
  *   I understand that if the preconditioner is perfect, all the eigenvalues should be (1,0). Since my preconditioner is not perfect, to understand its performance, is it correct to say that, I need to keep an eye on the eigenvalues whose distance to (1,0) are the furthest?
  *   How does petsc decides how many eigenvalues to output in KSPComputeEigenvalues. I am solving a set of linear systems, sometimes KSPComputeEigenvalues outputs 8 eigenvalues, sometimes it outputs just 2 eigenvalues.
  *   In the output which I showed above, are these the ones with the smallest magnitude and also the ones with the largest magnitudes? and what's between are all ignored? If this is the case, which ones are the "lowest" and which ones are the "highest"?

Thanks for your help and sorry for so many questions,
Feng