[petsc-users] About MatMumpsSetIcntl function

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Nov 30 10:46:23 CST 2022

  Note you can use -help to have the running code print all possible options it can currently handle. This produces a lot of output so generally, one can do things like

./code various options -help | grep mumps

to see what the exact option is named for mumps in your situation.

   Also if you had run with  -mpi_ksp_view as suggested in your previous output you sent *** Use -mpi_ksp_view to see the MPI KSP parameters *** it would show the options prefix for the mumps options (which in this case is -mpi_)  so you would know the option should be given as -mpi_mat_mumps_icntl_7 5,

  So, in summary, since nested solvers can have complicated nesting and options names, one can determine the exact names without guessing by either

1) running with -help  and searching for the appropriate full option name or

2) running with the appropriate view command and locating the options prefix for particular solve you want to control.

We do this all the time, even though we wrote the code we cannot fully remember the options and figure out in our heads the full naming of nested solver options so we use 1) and 2) to determine them.

Barry