[petsc-users] PetscSF Object on Distributed DMPlex for Halo Data Exchange

Mike Michell mi.mike1021 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:28:08 CDT 2022

Thanks for the reply. The diagram makes sense and is helpful for
understanding 1D representation.

However, something is still unclear. From your diagram, the number of roots
per process seems to vary according to run arguments, such as
"-dm_distribute_overlap", because "the number of roots for a DMPlex is the
number of mesh points in the local portion of the mesh (cited from your
answer to my question (1))" will end up change according to that argument.
However, from my mock-up code, number of roots is independent to
-dm_distribute_overlap argument. The summation of "number of roots" through
processes was always equal to number of physical vertex on my mesh, if I
define the section layout on vertex with 1DOF. But in your diagram example,
the summation of "nroots" is larger than the actual number of mesh points,
which is 13.

Also, it is still unclear how to get the size of "roots" from the
PetscSection & PetscSF on distributed DMPlex? In your diagram, how can you
tell your code and make it allocate the "nroots=7 for P0, nroots=9 for P1,
and nroots=7 for P2" arrays before you call PetscSFBcastBegin/End()? It
seems that we need to define arrays having the size of nroots & nleaves
before calling PetscSFBcastBegin/End().

Thanks,
Mike

Here's a diagram of a 1D mesh with overlap and 3 partitions, showing what